Mixed Pulse & Bean Autumn Salad made with mixed beans, lentils and chickpeas
(makes for 6-8)
Prep time 30mins
Assembly time: 5 mins
1 cup olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
250g green beans sliced into + 5cm pieces
250g soya beans – frozen is fine
250g broad beans, popped out of their skin
2 tins of mixed beans
1 tin chickpeas
250g puy lentils, boiled
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
good handful of parsley, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon, plus extra
freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
how to make it…
1. Wash the leeks well and cut into 1cm/½” rings. Rinse again to remove any soil.
2. Place them in a saucepan with the olive oil and cook together until the leeks have softened and are golden brown.
3. Add the garlic and fry for a minute or two until it is transparent. Set the pan aside to cool.
4. Drop the green beans into a pan of boiling water until just softened but still crunchy. Drain and set aside.
5. Boil and drain the soya and broad beans, remembering to pop the broad beans out of their skins so that the beans are bright green rather than grey-ish.
6. Drain tins of mixed beans and chickpeas. Place the green beans, broad beans, soya beans, chickpeas, mixed beans and lentils in a large bowl.
7. Add the parsley, spring onions, cooked leeks and garlic to the bowl. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
8. Mix everything together, being careful not to break the pulses. Season to taste
one last time before serving.