Vegan Blueberry and Raspberry Chia Seed Jam. Packed with antioxidants from the berries, plus lots of fibre and additional nutritional value from the chia seeds.
Chia seed nutritional value and health benefits:
- High in omega 3 and an excellent source of fibre.
- Provides a great source of protein, calcium, manganese, magnesium and phosphorus.
- Also contains potassium, zinc and vitamins B1, 2 and 3.
- Studies have shown that chia seeds can help to improve type 2 diabetes.
- Chia seeds can improve bone health due to the high amounts of calcium they provide- this is important for individuals who do not eat dairy.
Ingredients: (serves 1)
- 1/2 a cup of frozen blueberries
- 1/2 a cup of frozen raspberries
- 3 tablespoons of organic agave
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of organic chia seeds
How to make it…
Begin by placing the frozen berries and agave nectar in a saucepan on a medium heat.
Stir gently and you will see the berries start to break down and become syrupy. Mix in the chia and stir occasionally for approximately 10-15 minutes. You will see the mixture begin to thicken – once this happens, remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
Transfer the jam into a jar and leave in the fridge for an hour before serving. This will last up to two weeks in the fridge.
Thanks to sophieshealthykitchen.com for this delicious recipe.
Limited copies of Winter issue printed.
BUY YOUR COPY HERE OR SUBSCRIBE