Quinoa with Sauteed Kale and Courgettes – a nutritious and power packed bowl of grains and mixed veggies
(serves 2) Prep: 10mins
1/2 cup of kale/100g
3/4 cup of black quinoa
1 cup of courgettes (green and yellow)
1/4 tsp of minced onion
1/4 tsp of minced garlic
1/4 tsp of minced ginger
1/4 tsp of chopped green or red chili
1/4 cup of chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup of chopped spring onions
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of pepper
Coriander leaves / fennel / pumpkin seeds/ lime slices for garnishing
how to make it…
1. First, rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh sieve until water runs clear. Rinsing quinoa removes its natural coating, which when cooked can make the quinoa bitter.
2. When cooking the quinoa the water ratio is really important to get the best texture. Quinoa to water ratio is 1:2. For this recipe I’m using 3/4 cup of quinoa so I’m adding 1.5 cups of water to cook.
3. Cover and cook on low for about 7-10 minutes until it’s tender and fluffy. Set aside off the heat for few minutes to cool down. Uncover and fluff up using a fork.
4. Heat up a large skillet or a wok in a medium heat and add olive oil. (you can use coconut oil as well). Then add onions, garlic, ginger and cook it for about 1-2 mins.
5. Add the chopped courgettes, kale, tomatoes, chili, salt, pepper and soy sauce and give it a good mix. Cover and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
(when chopping the courgettes, make sure to chop them into small pieces so you don’t have to spend more time waiting for them to cook).
6. Finally add the cooked quinoa and spring onions, give it a final mix and cover with the lid, cook on a low heat for 5 more minutes.
7. Serve in a lunch bowl or in a plate, garnish with your favorite herbs, slices of lime and sprinkle some nuts or seeds if you wish and enjoy!
Recipe from Anjala at: www.thefoodsnaps.com Thefoodsnaps facebook.com/thefoodsnaps @thefoodsnaps
Kale is one of the healthiest and most nutritious green vegetables that you could ever find. It’s high in antioxidants vitamin A C K and vitamin B6.