Healthy Veggie Winter Stew
Packed with aubergine, courgette and spinach
Prep: 10mins Cook: 30mins
1 aubergine, cut into cubes
1 courgette, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 big handful spinach
1⁄2 cup frozen peas
300 ml vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
Added Extras: Fresh parsley or coriander to serve
How to make it…
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook until soften
2. Next add the garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes.
3. Add the aubergine along with the tinned tomatoes and vegetable stock.
4. Bring to a simmer, cover the pan and cook for 10 mins.
5. Now add the courgette and cook for 10 mins while stirring occasionally.
6. Season, taste and adjust seasoning to taste
7. Once the sauce has thickened and the vegetables are tender, stir through the spinach and frozen peas and let simmer for further 2 minutes.
8. Serve with the cooked rice and a scattering of fresh parsley or coriander
Recipe from Hedi at: www.hedihearts.com
Aubergines are an excellent source of dietary fibre, a good source of vitamins B1 and B6 and potassium too. They are also high in the minerals copper, magnesium and manganese.
Spinach works so well in winter stews and currys and it’s packed with vitamin K, vitamin A, manganese, folate vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin E, calcium and vitamin C.
Featured in Thrive Magazine Winter 2020 issue >>