Winter Apple & Blackcurrant Crumble made with bramley apple slices and fresh blackcurrants
Prep time; 20 mins
Cooking time: 12 mins
300g bramley apple slices (fresh or frozen)
100g blackcurrants (fresh or frozen)
20g soft brown sugar
¼ tsp vanilla extract
100g ground almonds
40g soft brown sugar
40 g coconut oil
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp cinnamon
1 pinch sea salt
how to make it…
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Begin by making the filling by adding all of the ingredients to a pan, ensuring the apples are peeled and sliced first. Heat on a medium flame and using a spoon, stir the filling every so often until the sauce thickens and the fruit begins to become soft.
3. While the filling is cooking, make the crumble. Add all of the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir together.
4. Melt the coconut oil briefly (I popped it in the microwave for 30 seconds) and then add to the mixing bowl. Stir together until the crumble is coated with the coconut oil.
5. Using a pie dish, spoon the filling into a thick layer on the bottom.
6. Next, gently spoon the crumble mix over the top of the filling until it’s completely covered. You can be quite generous with the crumble mix, however this recipe makes enough mix for two crumbles. Put the remaining crumble mix into a zip lock bag and pop in the freezer to use for next time.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.