Vegan Dark Chocolate Cherry Tart made with oats and almonds – with a cherry jam filling
(Makes 6-8 slices)
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30mins
For the crust
2/3 cup (80g) oats
1/3 cup (45g) almonds
2 tbsp (20g) raw cacao
6 Medjool dates, pitted (or other fresh dates)
1 tsp coconut oil
2 tbsp water (or any plantbased milk)
2 tbsp cherry chia jam filling
2 cups (300g) cherries, pitted
¼ cup (60ml) water
2 tbsp birch sugar (Xylitol)
1 heaping tbsp chia seeds
For the dark chocolate pudding layer
3.5 oz (100g) dark chocolate
(min. 70% cocoa content)
1 can (400ml) full fat coconut milk
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup minus 1 tbsp water
2 tsp (4g) agar agar (powder)
2 tsp (5g) tapioca starch
how to make it
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (170C) and line the bottom of a 6 inch round cake pan with baking paper.
2. In a blender, combine oats, almonds and dates and pulse a few times until mixturestarts to become crumbly. Now add cacao, coconut oil and water and continue pulsing until the dough comes together (in a ball).
3. Press the crust mixture into the cake pan, also making an edge, and compress it until you get an even layer.
4. Blind bake for 10 minutes (using pie weights or dried beans to keep the dough down), take it out and leave it to cool.
5. In the meanwhile, place cherries, sugar and water in heavy bottom pan and simmer for 12-15 min. Stir in chia seeds and leave to sit for at least 5 minutes. You can also do this ahead to save yourself some time; it keeps well in fridge for up to 3 days
6. Place cherry jam filling over a tart base.
7. Now place chocolate in a bowl over a double boiler (bain marie) until it melts completely (keep your flame on low), stirring occasionally.
8. Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan, add salt and heat it. over low flame. When chocolate melts, add it to the pan and stir well.
9. Combine water with agar agar powder in a small cup and slowly add to the coco nut-chocolate mixture, stirring until no lumps remain. Bring the mixture to boil and cook for 3-4 minutes.
10. Pour the mixture over a cherry jam layer and let cool before transferring to fridge. Keep it in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours before serving.
Recipe from Iva at www.culinary-postcards.com ivaculinary facebook.com/kulinarskerazglednice @culinarypostcards