Summer Vegetable Frittata with summer veggies and encased in a chickpea flour batter
2 cups chickpea flour
1 ¼ cups filtered water
¼ cup ground linseed (flaxseed)
1 tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 medium courgette, washed and sliced into 1 cm thick discs
2 medium tomatoes, washed and sliced
into 1 cm discs
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
A generous pinch of sea salt and black pepper
1 tbsp coconut oil
how to make it…
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C for a fan assisted oven.
2. Melt the coconut oil in an oven proof frying pan over a low/medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sweat gently until tender and fragrant.
3. Add the sliced courgette and tomatoes and arrange them in and around the onion creating a layer. Allow them to cook for a few minutes to just soften a little. Flip and cook for 2 minutes more. You want the vegetables, overlapping slighting creating one layer.
4. Whilst the vegetables are cooking, add the chickpea flour, flax, turmeric, oregano, nutritional yeast, bicarbonate of soda, salt and pepper to a mixing bowl. Beat together well to combine.
5. Add the water and whisk together forming a smooth batter.
6. Pour the batter evenly over the vegetables so that they are completely covered.
7. Transfer to the oven to bake for 20 minutes until hot through and golden brown all over.
8. Allow to cool in the frying pan a little then carefully flip onto a plate so that the base of the frittata and vegetables are facing upwards.
CNM recommends the use of organic ingredients
Recipe from Emma Carter for the Natural Chef Diploma Courses at CNM, the College of Naturopathic Medicine.