Orange Pistachio and Saffron Loaf
Made with delicious fresh oranges, topped with saffron syrup
(Makes 1 loaf)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 40 minutes
For the cake
450g oranges (quartered and seeds removed)
225g butter (soft)
250g castor sugar
1⁄2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
5 tbsp pistachios (toasted and chopped)
pinch of salt
1⁄4 cup pistachios (sliced and lightly toasted)
For the syrup
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp honey
5 strands saffron
How to make it…
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Spray your loaf tin with baking spray or brush with oil and set aside.
2. In your food processor/blender blitz your oranges until it’s the consistency of chunky mashed potatoes.
3. Add the butter and blend again until combined. Add the sugar and blend further.
4. At this stage scrape down the sides of the blender and blend once more. Add the eggs, remaining cake ingredients except for the nuts and blend for 2- 3 minutes smooth.
5. Add 4 tbsp. of the pistachios and using the spatula briefly mix the batter. Transfer batter to the prepared tin and level using a spoon. Sprinkle over the 1 tbsp. pistachios on the top. Place on the middle wrack of the oven and bake for 38-40 minutes.
6. To make the syrup, place all the ingredients in a small saucepot over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes. Take off the heat and set aside.
7. Once the cake is baked through, toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean leave to cool at room temperature for 5 minutes before removing from the tin.
8. After the cake has been removed from the tin, poke it with a toothpick all around and generously pour over the syrup. Let this soak while it is still warm.
9. Slice and serve with some tea.
Recipe from Annika at: www.annikaeats.com
Featured in Thrive Magazine Winter 2020 issue >>