Creamy Cashew Protein Bars
Packed with healthy almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts
(Makes 8 bars)
Cook time: 10mins
10 medjool dates
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup almond meal
1 scoop vanilla plant protein powder
2 heaped tbsp smooth cashew butter (to make cashew butter, see step 8 in how to make it)
Good pinch of pink himalayan salt
Small pinch of cinnamon
Handful of nuts (almonds, walnuts, blanched hazelnuts)
Handful of seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, flax)
2-4 squares (20g) dairy-free dark chocolate
To make your own cashew cream
1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
1 dried Medjool date, pitted
2 1/2 cups water
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
How to make it…
1. Blend all ingredients together in a food processor or high power blender except for nuts, seeds, cacao nibs and dark chocolate.
2. When mixture starts to become a little sticky add in the nuts and seeds and pulse until nuts are roughly chopped.
3. Add in the cacao nibs and stir through without blending.
4. Line a bread tin with non-stick baking paper and pour in the mixture pressing down firmly so the mixture is tightly compact.
5. Melt the dairy-free dark chocolate to drizzle over the top.
6. Freeze for at least two hours to set.
7. Cut into 8 medium-large bars and store in the freezer to keep bars firm.
8. To make your own cashew cream: Soak the cashews: Place the cashews (and date, if using) in a medium bowl and add 2 cups of the water. Set aside uncovered at room temperature for at least an hour. The cashews are ready when they break apart when pressed between two fingers. Drain the soaking water from the cashews. Add the drained cashews, date, salt plus the remaining 1/2 cup water to a blender. Blend into a cream until completely smooth.
Recipe from Lauren at www.rawsomereviews.com
Featured in Thrive Magazine Winter 2020 issue >>