The power of using good food as nutrition with plant based chef Halima Ferreira
We explore the benefits of a plant-based diet with chef and plant-based nutritionist Halima Ferreira. Are you ready to transition to a plant-based diet? Halima is here to help.
There are many “diets” and advice surrounding what we should eat, how and even when we should eat. The one underlying premise that remains the same with all of these diets is that good, healthy food is best. Your choice of food affects your health, not just today but more importantly tomorrow and your future.
Think of food as fuel for your body and your brain. Would you fill the tank of your car with sugar? Never! You know that will damage the engine and the car will stop running. The same is true for your body. When you fill your body with healthy, wholesome food it keeps you going and it directly affects the function of your entire system.
Upgrading to a premium plant-based diet filled with high-quality foods, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, means you can ward off long-term disease, decrease weight gain, lower blood pressure, and increase energy and emotional health.
What is a plant-based diet and what foods should I eat?
Simply put, it’s all about eating more plant-based foods (fresh veggies, fruits, whole grains) and less animal-based foods (meat, dairy, eggs). Going plant-based means you change your approach to the food you choose to eat by focusing on minimally processed foods, specifically plants, to stimulate weight loss and improve your health.
There are several different versions of the plant based diet:
• Vegetarian Diet – includes: cheese, eggs, and milk. Doesn’t include: meat at all.
• Vegan Diet – Doesn’t include any animal products – including milk, cheese, and honey.
• Flexitarian Diet – Includes a diet that’s primarily filled with plants but with some animal products occasionally.
The basic principles of a whole-foods, plant-based diet are as follows:
• Focus on whole, minimally processed foods.
• Limit or avoid animal-based foods.
• Focus on plants: Including vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, seeds and nuts, which should make up the majority of what you eat.
• Exclude refined foods, like added sugars, white flour and processed oils.
• Eat locally sourced, organic food whenever possible.
The benefits of eating plant-based foods.
Research, over the years, has proven that a plant-centric diet can help:
• Lower blood pressure
• Keep your heart healthy
• Prevent type 2 diabetes
• Help with weight loss
• Decreases the risk of cancer
• Reduces inflammation
• Increases your immune system
• Improves gut health and cholesterol
• Reduce the risk of stroke and Alzheimer’s
With so much research pointing to the positive outcomes of choosing a plant-based diet, it really is a healthy choice to make. It may be daunting to navigate this new path, whether by choice or as instructed by your health care provider and this is where Halima’s extensive expertise will guide you and make this lifestyle change not only manageable but super easy, creative and fun.
What is it like to work with Halima?
As a personal chef of 18 years, Halima has travelled the world and worked with many elite clients that have specific requirements. This gives her a unique understanding of how to meet your individual needs.
With Halima, by your side to nurture and nourish you on your new journey, you will receive personalised plant-based nutritional advice. She will help you take charge and understand the changes that will occur in your body as a result of your diet. With Halima’s guidance she will help you navigate and manage chronic disease, food allergies, food sensitivities, weight gain, self-image and nutritional understanding.
Starting with the basics, Halima will teach you to understand the types of foods that are healthy and best for your body. Nutrition is more than merely counting calories, it’s a complex science that’s very specific to you – remember you are unique, and everyone’s requirements are different.
You will learn to navigate the grocery aisles and nutrition labels without feeling overwhelmed and indecisive. She will help you sift through the information overload and devise a shopping list meal plan and recipes that are ideal for you.
While transitioning into your plant-based lifestyle, you will receive her exceptional support and motivation. You will have regular meetings to discuss your food cravings and get science-based answers to your everyday questions. Her support is ideal during challenging times like travel, family festivities, or a hectic schedule that makes it hard to cook. By sharing her self-proven strategies, she can help ensure you don’t fall back on old habits as you try to become healthier.
The benefits of working with Halima:
• Identify and work through your food barriers
• You will be guided every step of the way.
• You will have emotional support (even if you think you don’t need it).
• Her global experience as a private chef to create exciting, innovative food for you.
• She will teach you to use proven techniques to cook wholesome, healthy meals.
• Access to her extensive network of health providers, fitness trainers and food companies to give you a holistic approach to your health.
At the end of your journey, you will know how to choose, prepare and shop on a budget for the right foods for your body. You will have a tailor-made meal plan and the confidence to prepare any plant-based recipe yourself. Your body will exude wholesomeness and health. You will feel the best version of yourself.