Spinach and Moong Flour Pancakes
Served with spicy chickpeas, avocado and mint sauce
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the mint yoghurt
1⁄2 cup coconut yoghurt
handful coriander stems
For the savoury pancakes (or chillas)
handful washed spinach
1⁄2 inch piece of fresh ginger
2 jalapeño peppers
1 tsp Himalayan salt
1⁄4 cup almond milk
1 1⁄2 cups moong flour or plain flour
water for consistency
For the spicy chickpeas
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
8-10 curry leaves
2 cinnamon sticks broken into smaller pieces
3-4 dried green chillies
2 tins ready chickpeas
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander & cumin powder
2 tsp garam masala
3 tbsp ground peanuts
2 tsp Himalayan salt
How to make it…
1. To make the mint yoghurt. In a blender, blend coconut yoghurt with a handful of chopped coriander stems. Blitz and put aside for later!
2. To make the savoury pancakes (or hillas). n a blender add your washed spinach, fresh ginger, jalapeño peppers,1 tsp Himalayan salt, almond milk, moong flour and water for consistency. Blitz and set aside for later!
3. For the spicy chickpeas. Heat some rapeseed oil in a pan. Add your cumin seeds, mustard seeds and 8-10 curry leaves. Add your broken cinnamon sticks, 5-6 cloves and 3-4 dried chillies (I used green ones). As the seeds start to crackle, add two tins of ready chickpeas rinsed and strained.
4. Stir and add your turmeric powder, cinnamon powder & 1 tbsp brown sugar. Add the red chilli powder, 1 tsp of coriander cumin powder, garam masala and 3 tbsp of ground peanuts. Mix everything well and add 2 tsp Himalayan salt.
5. Let the chickpeas cook on low heat and absorb the spices. In a pan, spray some rapeseed oil (or brush your preferred oil) and make/fry pancakes (a few mins on each side).
6. Layer the pancakes with the spicy chickpeas, some avocado slices, coriander yoghurt (perfect to tame the flame of the chickpeas) and some chilli flakes to add colour to the avocados.
Recipe from Kripa at: www.15minmom.com
Featured in Thrive Magazine Winter 2020 issue >>