Roasted Aubergine with Kumquat Salsa made with fresh cherry tomatoes, basil and kumquats
- 2 large aubergines – sliced length ways in half
- 1 tsp of butter or coconut oil
- Sprinkle of salt
- Sprinkle of harissa spice
For the salsa
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes – chopped
- 4-5 leaves of wild garlic or a handful of fresh basil
- 3 kumquats – sliced in half then into thin slivers
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil for drizzling
How to make it…
Preheat the oven to 200ºC
Prepare a baking tray and place the aubergines face up. Score, then add a smear of butter and spread it over like a slice a toast. Sprinkle salt and harissa spice.
Turn the oven down to 180ºC and roast for about 20min (they should be soft and squishy when ready).
Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Mix the salsa ingredients together and leave to rest for about 5-10mins allowing the flavours to mingle until just before serving, then top the aubergines.
Drizzle with extra olive oil and serve as a main or side dish.