Nutritious Black Rice Burrito Bowl made with black rice, black beans and fresh corn
1/2 cup uncooked black rice
1 cup of water
the juice of 1 lemon
2 tbs pumpkins seeds
a small handful of flat leaf parsley (chopped)
1 tin black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cobs of corn (husked, and washed or a tin of
1 ripe avocado
a pinch of salt
1 large tomato (chopped)
1/2 red and green chopped chillies (seeds removed)
1/4 red onion (chopped)
good quality olive oil (to drizzle over at the end)
cracked pepper to taste (optional
how to make it…
1. Start by cooking your black rice. Put the rice and water into a pot on the stove with the lid partially covering the top. Bring it to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. With the lid still partially covering the top, leave the rice to simmer until all the water has been absorbed. For black rice this process takes around 20 minutes. Then clamp the lid on tight and leave it to sit for about 5 minutes to finish.
2. While the rice is cooking you can griddle your corn. Get your griddle pan nice and hot, then put the corn on the pan. You may need to reduce the heat slightly but you do want the pan to remain super hot. As the corn cooks, turn it with some tongs to cook evenly all around. Set aside to cool for around 5 minutes. Once the corn is cool enough to handle, stand them up (one at a time) on your chopping board and, using a sharp knife, cut the kernels off the cob by running your knife down the side. Combine the corn kernels with the black beans and set aside.
3. Whilst the rice and corn are cooking combine your salad ingredients: the tomato, capsicums, and red onion. Sprinkle the salad with a little salt, mix gently then set aside.
4. Time to prep your rice. In a bowl, combine the cooked black rice, 1/2 the lemon juice, pumpkins seeds, parsley and a pinch of salt.Gently mix and set aside.
5. When each of the above components are ready you can mash your avocado. In a clean glass bowl combine the rest of the lemon juice and a pinch of salt with the avocado and mash it all up with a fork.
6. To serve, evenly divide each element between two bowls as pictured. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and some cracked pepper.
Recipe from: www.anewgreenleaf.com @anewgreenleaf / @anewgreenleafofficial